Monday, June 2, 2014

Diary of Sir Hansel, !?*$, 30

 The days fly by like birds soaring on the winds. The world is oddly at peace. The weekends are the only days where the factories slow their production, if not outright stop. Perhaps the Machina Monarch knows that if he (or she. I have not gotten a good look at their face) pollutes too much, too fast, there would be less resources to gather in the long run, such as wood and crops. Plants do not grow well when watered with sludge, and perhaps he has noticed.


 My mailbox was stuffed with letters from friends and family, all worried for my well being. Among them was Lady Runica, a noblewoman who was more than happy to keep me company when my mood was darkest. She expressed joy in that she was able to finally gather up the courage to write a letter, and concern that I was at the center of pollution itself, La Plata (dubbed 'The City of Smog' by many). "I worry that your lungs will be clogged and that you will develop horrible coughing fits like Sir Hugo," she wrote. "I also miss you dearly. I yearn for simpler times, when you and I could sit in the castle gardens and speak for hours on end about nothing and everything. One day, I will gather the courage to visit you, so that we may speak unrestricted by mere pen and paper."

 I hesitate to ask the higher ranked nobles to allow her to visit. They may think I was planning something, or they may plan to have her marry one of those slimy gits who complain of women denying them their right to 'claim' them. Not only that, I... I rather her not see me in this state. I would only reach  her knees, and that's embarassing beyond belief.

 On the other hand, though, I could be carried easily, like a doll. Hmm...

 Another friend, Duke Reginald, sent his regards and greatest apologies for allowing the Machina Monarch to claim me as his own Court Magician. "The Monarch scares me," he wrote, his handwriting as wobbily as a boat on the open sea, "and so, I did not object, in fear of losing all I have. My weakness lead to this terrible turn of events, and for that, I apologize sincerely."

"On another note," he added, "Peter is still a celebrated hero here in Tinsdale."

 I groaned loudly after reading that, heart threatening to burst out from anger.

 "He remains ever unaware, prefering to focus on the here and now rather than think of the consequences and the future of the planet. Ignorance remains bliss for him. He is, however, learning how to speak properly, thanks to the help of Countress Dia and her lessons. So I suppose that's one less problem to deal with. Unfortunately, he's still terribly young (7 as of today) and still cherished as the hero destiny has touched. I can only hope Sir Hugo can teach him how to properly weild a sword, lest he cut himself with his own blade. Then again, its a surprise he has managed to defeat many kings and even Princess Pollution with such mediocre skills, at best. Perhaps his powers are making up for his lack of sword skills...


"For now, though, he bothers not with the remaining monarchs, prefering to play pranks amongst the townspeople for a cheap laugh and gorge himself with fantastic foods with all the gold he has accumulated from his past deeds. Only when there is a more immediate concern will he bother to investigate, as we both know.

 I must leave you here, however. A ball is planned later in the week, and I must prepare. I wish you well in your endeavours, and hope that your new form does not cause you much trouble."

 Ha, if only he knew! Its much more difficult to cook when I have to rely on stools to reach the stove. Its part of the reason why I'm studying a form of magic that will allow me to create food without use of a stove and such.


 Speaking of studies, I have been studying other stars and planets through the use of this Internet thing on this...computer, I believe the Web Wizard called it. Its facinating, seeing how much information has been put on there, free for anyone to see. I have learned so much about this Earth and how they have industrialized much like we have, and may also have a crisis like our own. I have learned about Mars and how scientists seek any sign of life on there. All this data, all at my figurative fingertips (ah, one of the many things I miss about being human: having thumbs!)...

Er, hopefully no one will see how many videos I have seen on Youtube about various hobbies I can do to distract myself from the fact that I'm chained to my worst enemies and my own jealousy. The last thing I need is for someone to laugh at how I've been watching videos of a woman and her dog cooking various foods together, and how to make these models of robots.

 Sigh... The thing I miss most is being outside in the gardens. These castle grounds have no such thing, the smog too much for even grass to grow.  Even if they could grow, acid rain would put them down before they could even bud. Perhaps one of these days, I'll sneak my way out and find a place to relax, for a time. Somewhere where there are no factories, no industries, no smog covering up the blanket of stars...

No comments:

Post a Comment