Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Bonus Post: Diary Entry 1, 10th Day of %^&!

%^&!, Day 10, 2002

My very first diary entry! Mom got me a blank book, even though she said it cost her a lot of money. I took a lot of time studying up on my words and stuff. It's really nice to know how to read and write, and I wish I could show everybody else, but I'm just a kid, and knowing the higher ups, they'd probably build a school made of dirt with tattered books and bugs all over the place. Yuck! 


It's weird how the nobles say they care about us, then they turn around and start building more factories. More factories won't help if they don't even pay anybody well! Only the nobles get anything worth spending right away; my parents have to work 'til their hands are full of red, ugly bumps to even get enough money to feed me and my brother for a day or two. It's just so stupid! That's why I'm planning on rising through the ranks and beating them at their own game! I'll fight them until I knock sense into them and stop them from making life any harder than it is now!

Oh yeah, mom said I had to put my name somewhere here. So I'm Hansel Rivendale! I'm 10 years old and dad says I have my mom's eyes and his hair. And my grandpa's nose or something. I have a brother named Ulrik, and he's super strong! And I have a mom and a dad and a grandpa and they're all really nice! Mom makes the best beef stew, Dad loves woodcarving, and Grandpa says he can talk to animals!

...Not sure if I believe him, though.

I'm the only one in my family who is li...li... literate, that's the word! That means that I'm the only one who can read and write well. I'm really proud of myself! Well, except for the fact that I swiped a whole ton of books from an unsuspecting noble that visited. Then again, he should have kept an eye on his book stack. He didn't even bat an eyelash at the one book I left! He just grabbed it and left with his butler trailing behind him. I don't think it matters much, though, because now I have a whole library of books I got from some of the nicer nobles on all sorts of things!

Some of these things are books on swordplay and the types of weapons there are. Other things are like, the schools of magic, what they conist of, all that sort of stuff. And then I have a biiiig dictionary and books on how to read and write! And books I can read for fun. A really nice book was all about how a normal girl got to go to the ball and then beat up a mean jerk who said bad things about her! It was super cool!

Right now? I finished practicing some swordplay and one of the blacksmiths promised he'll finish a special sword for me tomorrow. He said that there was some sort of choosing thing that was happening, since one of the nobles of Tinsdale Castle was kidnapped. I think he said that the noble that wanted to save her was pretty bad at talking about anything other than himself. Oh, and bad at swordplay. The Duke wanted to make sure that he didn't get hurt or anything, so he'll be choosing someone from Tinsdale, whether noble or peasant, to accompany him!

I kind of hope it's me, but at the same time, I don't. It's like... weird. I'm nervous about going on an adventure to save a noblewoman, who is probably cute beyond belief... I think it's because I'm kind of... lower class, I guess? That and I'd be stuck with a snooty nobleman. The snooty ones are the worst. It'll be great practice for my swordplay, though! And magic, too!

I need to practice more evocation, enchantment, and illusionry spells. If I can get those down, conjuration, abjuration, and divination should be a piece of cake! No necromancy or transmutation, though. I don't like the idea of bringing the dead back to life as zombies. And transmutation sounds like it would involve too much reading about every single object and its properties. Boooooooring.

Well, sounds like Mom's calling. I'll write in this every day! Can't let it go to waste; there's a LOT of paper here! I think it'll last me an eternity!

...Okay, maybe 40 years. 30? 20? Whatever.

No comments:

Post a Comment