Saturday, October 18, 2014

Character Development Infodump 1: Mondorians

Mondorians had the oddest origin of all. It all started after developing an alternate scenario for Kirby's backstory, where he was supposed to have met the yellow kirby on Mekkai. A jealous 2P situation would arise and that would be that. And yet, here we are, with Hansel, Janet, and the others. Let's take a closer look at what inspired them!


Hansel Rivendale: Phantasm of Mondor

AKA Yellow Kirby. AKA Keeby. I first came up with the idea of this depressed, "always 2P" character when developing the Kirby backstory. First it was as a masked kirby with two staves, ala Queen Septonia, who wanted nothing but to defeat his rival and take the role of 1P for himself. Then, later, as the second Kirby ever created, only his mind was super developed because ~Nightmare drugs~ and he was forced to work in a factory for them to try to keep him in check. I played a lot with the idea of the bitter character dealing with the incompetent hero.

Then, as the idea became less and less "Kirby-like", I thought, "Well, might as well make  it an semi-original idea."

And so, I wrote the blogpost that sounded a lot like Meta Knight complaining about Kirby. Only this time, Hansel was trapped among the walls of the La Plata Castle, forced to be the Machina Monarch's Court Magician in a world covered in smog. His previous employer, who he also despised, falling to the hands of a derpy hero, Peter Rustal.

As I went further and further along and went along for the finale of Wheelerplot, I made him act a little funky in the head, and to explain that, I ended up with a tragic backstory involving torture of the mental sorts. Nothing pleasant, for sure.

He was always meant to have a sword and a staff, representing strength of mind and of body. The balanced character of the group, even if he was pessimistic. Always thinking ahead, always planning, sometimes doing things that "REAL HEROES" would never find acceptable. The paranoid type who spoke his words carefully and always made sure to address everyone the right way.

I wanted to use a Kirby because, well, Yellow Kirby. Why not? I had to explain it somehow, and so, the curse was born: to be a creampuff when one thought of himself of lowly and nothing. I thought it was interesting, at least!

Janet Kingston/Gaea: Sunny Shaman of Mondor/Earth Given Form

Janet was sort of a spur-of-the-moment sort of character. I wanted a Nature vs. Technology theme for Mondor, and Janet was just the right girl for the job. She's fast on her feet, even faster with a pen, confident to the point of cockiness, and always willing to learn. Hansel's opposite, in other words. Someone had to balance out his bitterness and pessimism, and what better person to do that than with someone who feels on top of the world and is new to adventuring?

Granted, her design wasn't set until later, where I decided "black haired girl with a braid with a butterfly hairband" was to way to go.

Technically, she's the main character of Mondorplot, since she's the one capable of doing Purification, which essentially allows plants to grow and stuff. Hansel only learned it from her, and his version is less powerful. Honestly, I wanted a girl who was more spunky and made mistakes, curious and pushing the boundaries of everything.

Gaea, of course, had an earth-y motif, being the primordial of earth. She used to be a he, but I figured it would be better to give her a girly appearance. She's here to keep Janet in check and let Janet borrow her powers, and advise. She is mostly emotionless, and... well, I didn't really develop her more than that.

BELINDA SONIKA- Booming, Thunderous Princess

I didn't get the idea for a daughter for a Monarch until I realized that a scrapped idea was still hanging around. I don't really like having recently scrapped ideas to stay scrapped for long, so I rekobbled- (rekobbered, heh) her into this role, where she can still have her role of fighting against the evil forces (which is her dad) and take on a different sort of position in the story. She's loud, rough and tumble, less elegant than what I originally planned for her, but eh, things change.

She was always destined to be the one who orchestrated destruction and faught against her own dad, since he was doing nothing to make the lives of others any better. So what other way to emphasize this than making her a shaman, with a muse by her side? I chose Aoede because she represented music, although she respresented the flute more than any other instrument.

As for her design? Can't have a loud mouthed princess with an accent if they don't have red hair and freckles! Her suit's supposed to look more like she's a conductor. A conductor of kickassery. And with her personality, she seemed more suited to a higher position than to be ruled by anyone else. More assertive than Janet and with a bit more brains than her, too.

(Sorry, Janet.)

JUAN LYON- Reaper of a Thousand Emotions

Just another reworked idea. Juan is one of my more long-lived characters, originally created around 2003, which is when I had my demon rush. Lots of ideas about demons. He was originally a Demon King, then just a demon, then an earth bender (don't ask), then a god, and now just a regular guy with empathy who is bound to the death god.

I wanted someone who was contradictory in nature. I mean, an empath? Working with death? He'd be overwhelmed! And that was the case when he first started the job, up until now. He had time to settle into things, but his empathy won't go away anytime soon. So basically, he has to pick his battles well, or else the sheer amount of emotion will cause him to go out of control.

Probably makes him ragequit Mario Kart on more than one occasion.

All of my other characters were a bit more serious, so I wanted someone a bit more laid back, someone who could reel in Belinda's temper and bounce ideas off of her. I may have portrayed him a little too laid back, among many other flaws that I need to fix. I also thought it would be interesting for someone not to make summons from defeating them, but by talking to them, understanding them. A willing pact, rather than one that was forced. He can borrow their powers or summong them directly, but without that consent, he can't use them. The summons, of course, would end up being things I liked the most: Undine, dogs, musical onis, Pikachu... a giant fuckin dragon. That trend will probably continue until someone else tosses a possible summon at me.

AVENTURINE - Black Dog of Death

I just wanted to roleplay a dog. And what's the best kind of dog? The one that can spit out acid and use magic and wear armor! I wanted her to be goofy and loving, like most dogs are. Granted, most dogs don't really spit acid, but most dogs don't get to beat up enemies, anyway. Not much to say about her, aside from dogge. DOOOOGGE.

Nice dogge there :3

1 comment:

  1. I'm really happy Belinda got repurposed. I was pretty happy with the design I made for her, and you made her into a great character.

    ReplyDelete