Friday, February 7, 2014

Harpy History: Pokemon

Oh man, what a doozy. So many pokemon arose ever since the first generation came out around the '90s. Or maybe it was the 80s? I forget. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I'm a straight up Nintendo fangirl. I don't even care if they're in a slump right now, they're better than the rest of them, the best of them. I mean, their systems are tougher than leather (and possibly titanium. Have you even seen that Game Boy that got nuked and still works? Jesus). PS3's good, too, 360 is kinda... eh. I only have it for Castle Crashers. I'd say Skyrim, too, but my brother is usually too fucking busy yelling at people on call of duty to even let me have a chance. Also I have it on the PC.

Wait, what was I talking about again? Oh, right, Pokemon! This is one of the earliest games I grew up with, along with SNES classics such as Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Earthbound, and Final Fantasy in general. My elder brother, Elvin (aka the gateway brother into gaming), played Pokemon Blue, with Squirtle as his starter (I think? Last I remember, Blastoise was part of his team). I saw him play a bit, I watched the show, I even went on the old Pokemon site because POGEYS! I loved the series, I actually wanted to be like Ash! I mean, PIKACHU! (I still like Pikachu today, but there are better Electric types now. Sort of.)

 I think my first time playing Blue was when I was on a road trip to Florida. We were visiting cousins, and so I was playing my brother's copy of Blue. I don't remember the team he used, but he was in Victory Road. I didn't know much about the series then until I got a Game Boy Color and Pokemon Yellow, so I kind of wandered around and killed things like it was no thing. When were were at the house, I could have sworn I left the game boy on my cousin's bed, then when I got back... Holy shit, it was gone. Where did it go? WHERE DID I PUT IT?

I don't think Elvin has ever forgiven me for that. He might act nice to me now, but I'm sure deep in the recesses of his heart, he still feels the utter hatred of an elder brother who lost a game when he was at Victory Road, all thanks to his dumb little sister.

Sorry, dude.

Anyway,  my first actual Pokemon game that I owned was Pokemon Yellow. Or at least, I think so. Maybe it was Blue? My childhood memories are a blur. Regardless, I was stoked. I chose Squirtle as my starter (Wait, guess that means Blue was my first? Whatever), kicked Gary's ass, caught all the pokemon that were cute enough for my standards like a stereotypical Lass, memorized weaknesses like a boss... Yep, I was a bonafide Pokemon Trainer and  I was gonna prove it to the world. Like every person in the world, I struggled against the E4, got mad at Gary for somehow becoming champion before me, and eventually beat the game. Woo!

Then came Pokemon Stadium and the N64. Oh man, that's a story. I was fucking pumped. Imagine a little 10 year old girl, playing the Little Cup with premade pokemon. FOREVER. The essence of cute. Oh, I also transfered 'mons over to use, since why not? I managed to beat most of the Gym Leaders and cups (or at least, Little Cup),  but then... disaster struck!

I went to Santo Domingo. No, wait, first off, get a map. Look below Florida. Point to the eastern half of an island that looks like its split in two. That's the Dominican Republic, congrats! I was there one summer and I was playing Pokemon Stadium with my cousins, and I had stupidly brought my copy along when he had one. When I left, I took his copy instead of my own.

The lesson here is to fucking label your shit.

Anyway, I didn't play Pokemon Stadium 2, but I did play Gold and Silver. (I prefer Silver because lolLugia). Then Ruby and Saphire. Then Leaf Green. Diamond. I skipped Gen V because I'm a poor fuck. And now, Y is the latest addition to my collection.


Enough about my history, what about my playstyle? When I was younger, I just chose whatever was cute. Hello, Horsea, get the fuck on my team. Pikachu? Pleaaaase. Mareep? Give it to me! Clefairy? HOLY FUCK WHY ARE YOU SO HARD TO FIND? (I took forever to find just one in Leaf Green. Worth it.) Now, I still follow that rule, but now I'm more aware of weaknesses and strengths. Water types, Electric types, Psychic types... Those are my favorites. Fairy type, too. I have a habit of nicknaming all of my pokemon. I mean, why not? Giving them names makes them important! That and I can tell the difference between pokemon. Imagine, people who don't nickname their pokemon yelling the pokemon names when two of the same type are on the field, then both get confused. Like, who the hell are you trying to talk to? Its like walking into a room full of Joes.

Do I play competitively? Not really. I do train EVs and breed for good IVs for shits and giggles after the postgame.  Most of the pokemon I like probably wouldn't even be in the OU. Besides, people take themselves too seriously with all the movesets and perfection. Its stressful and time consuming. Why should I end up sacrificing most of my sanity just to breed that perfect Feebas to evolve into a Milotic? (I actually did that. The IVs were never satisfactory, unfortunately.)

So all in all, I'm a Pokemon fan 'til the end. I will also have stupidly cute pokemon in the end, too. Litwick is just another addition to my ever-growing team of super cuties. I also caught a few pokemon for a friend and appropriately named them because share the joy!


I do need to get the fuck on the belated Gen V train. Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment