Friday, February 3, 2012

Lets Play: Dragon Quest 9 Intro

Hello, everybody! HarpyKuro here, welcoming you to my first Lets Play! I've been replaying this game a lot lately, so I might as well show off why its so great!

Dragon Quest has come a long way. It started off as one of the earliest JRPGs, up there with Final Fantasy. It was the standard fare: Your hero needed to rescue a princess and had to go slay a dragon to save the world,  all that standard stuff. What really made it stand out was that Akira Toriyama, the artist for the Dragon Ball series, contributed his art for this series. Not to mention, back then, Enix had no right to "Dragon Quest" (so the first few games were known as "Dragon Warrior") and was sort of rivals with Squaresoft.

Fast Forward to today, where we now have the best of both worlds. Technology has advanced, and with it, so has the game quality. We now have our fancy Wiis and PS3s pretty much chugging out high-definition graphics. The Nintendo DS was no slouch, either. Hell, the 3DS is pretty much a portable Wii! Only the 3D function hurts your eyes like hell. Or maybe its just me...

Anyway, Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies is a Square Enix game for the Nintendo DS. It pretty much involves your angelic character chillin, relaxin, and protecting people until shit happens and you gotta fix the problem. Like all good JRPGs. And of course, it will be a fun, fun, FUN ride. Sure, there is a lot of grinding involved, but there are just so many colorful characters and combinations of abilities you can use... But I'm getting too deep into it. Say hello to the intro.

  Aw, maaaaan. Why does Japan always get all the good music?           

Yep, there's class changing and a lot of mix-and-matching involved in this game, and I absolutely love it. Of course, its hard to do a few things until you get to the post game, but you shouldn't worry about that on your first run. Unless you're really THAT concerned about maxing skills and capping levels...

As for how I'm gonna do this? I'll probably post small bits at a time.  I will post all enemy info and show off a battle with each one, at least once. Once it gets to the point where I'm actually level grinding, I'll just skip it and just post a few pictures depicting all the character levels after said grinding. I may make fun of a few plot points along the way.... And who knows? Maybe a few characters I know from other places might pop in... 


Since I still have some time left, I might as well show off character customization.


You get to customize your hero to whatever kind of style you want. Its a limited to Akira's artstyle, but meh, I'm fine with it. There are a multitude of styles and colors to choose from, although it may seem like only a few at first.

As for who our hero is...





Welcome Sonia! She will be our angelic hero and always be in the party. ALLWAAAYS. Hell, you could probably solo the game if you grinded a lot. But eh, thats boring. 

Next time, we eat dinosaurs we will plunge right into the game! Sadly for all of us, I WILL have to go over all of the technobabble. ALL OF IT. Read: Attributes. After thats out of the way, though, we'll be clear for fun!

Harpy, Out!

2 comments:

  1. "Sadly for all of us, I WILL have to go over all of the technobabble."

    >Speechcraft

    >Mimic Daravon

    ReplyDelete