Friday, October 21, 2011

How Harpy Got into Gaming Part I (and a few other things)

Before I get into retro mode, I need to make a quick announcement. All of you who are curious about "For Whom the Bell Tolls", worry no longer! I have a Fictionpress account now, and so by Sunday morning, I should have a little short starring Alex, Xavier, and Chuck. Okay, by short... I mean like 3,000 + words. Haaaa...

Anyway, onwards!

I'm a 90s girl, being born in good '93. I have to admit, I lived the high life. My parents would spoil my brother, my sister, and me with games of all kinds. The first system we had was a Super Nintendo. The Super Nintendo was pretty much my childhood. I would watch my brother play Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars, Final Fantasy II (IV), and all those other retro classics nobody could possibly forget. Delicious, delicious retro goodness.

Well, there's retro classics, and then there's Earthbound.

My elder brother, Elvin, had a friend. Said friend let him borrow Earthbound, and being the little curious 5 year old I was, I watched him. Holy shit, it was mind blowing for a kid like me. To beatting up runaway dogs to facing Giygas (oh boy, the nightmares it brought), it was pretty fun to watch AND play. No other game stuck out in my mind at the time, but.. Earthbound!

Elvin also had a Game Boy with Pokemon Blue, Tetris, Super Mario Land 2 (I think), and something else. I played the living hell out of Tetris, even if I sucked donkey balls at it. Pokemon Blue, on the other hand... well, I didn't play it often, but my bro showed me how to play. He had a Blastoise (yay!) and a relatively high leveled team. The last I remember of it, he was in Victory Road when we all went to a cousin's house in Florida. I put the Game Boy on my cousin's bed and went to go play with the others, then when I came back.. It was gone! I looked all over for it, but too late: the damage was done. I had lost my bro's precious GB AND his high level team of pokemon. I think he secretly hates me for it. Heh heh.... bluh.

I'd go into how I got into Emulation, but that happened during the GBA era! Or between the Super Nintendo and N64 eras, at any rate. For now, though, let me list and explain my list of favorites:

Harpy's Favorites: Super Nintendo

Super Mario World: I really love this game based on the difficulty balance and that goddamn Yoshi. Also because of the cape because CAAAPES. It was my first real Mario Game (unless All-Stars' remake of SMB3 counts), and boy was it exciting! With boatloads of secrets, it has a bit of replay value. With charming music, fun levels, and a goddamn YOSHI, this game was a blast to play through. Have I beaten it? Yes. Yes I have.

Super Mario All-Stars: What would happen if you revamped the graphics of the classic Mario games of NES lore, fixed up a few bits here and there,  add in a Japan-Only Mario Game, and, in one version, toss in SMW?

You get this package of undiluted AWESOME.

You get Super Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros 2: The Lost Levels, Super Mario Bros 2 (based on Doki Doki Panic), Super Mario Bros 3, AND, on a special edition cartridge, SUPER MARIO WORLD. This is a Mario lover's wet dream, I can tell you that much. I can spend time to tell you what I think about each individual game, but the package in general... Its terrific. No kidding.

Super Mario Kart: DODODO DO DOOO DODODO DO DOOOO

Yep, its the very first Mario Kart in the series! The game was fun to play with two players, especially in battle mode (I WILL POP ALL YOUR BALLOONS, YA JERK). Computers whoop my ass in 150cc, though. The mechanics are a bit weird at times (Coins for speed? What?), but aside from thaaat... I usually play as Yoshi, since its-a Yoshi!

Earthbound

Kirby Super Star

Kirby's Dream Land 3

Harpy's Game Boy (Color) Favorites:

Pokemon Blue/Yellow
Pokemon Gold/Silver
Tetris
Super Mario Land 2
Kirby's Dream Land
Kirby's Dream Land 2

If I left any of them blank, its because I didn't have the time to add a description. Be sure to check back later for more stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment